Norwin falls just short at Hometown High Q

Just as the season had started for the Knights, it was over.

Oliver Hinson

On Jan. 16, Norwin’s best and brightest came together to compete at KDKA’s Hometown High Q trivia competition, but unfortunately, they came up just short.

The team consisting of seniors Lily Jarosz and Lydia Berger, and sophomore Brady Johnson finished in second place with 320 points, which was enough to beat Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, but ultimately, the victory went to Moon Area High School, who finished with 455 points. The contest runs in a tournament-style format, with preliminary rounds being broadcast for months, and with this loss, the Knights are unfortunately out of contention, and their season is over.

Despite the loss, the Knights put up a valiant effort, and they don’t seem to be dwelling on defeat.

“I like that one person didn’t end up having to carry the whole team,” said Jarosz. “I think the team performed very well overall, and I’m proud of us.”

The annual competition series features teams from all over western Pennsylvania, and the notoriously difficult questions provide a substantial challenge for students, especially considering that they can come from all genres.

“To be honest, it’s not really a competition that you can prepare for,” said Jarosz. “They can ask you so many different questions, and no two are alike.”

Helping with that preparation, however, was Ms. St. Clair, the adviser for Norwin high school’s gifted students and Quiz Team. Her responsibilities typically include familiarizing the students with the format and types of questions they would be facing. Due to the added wrinkle of the COVID-19 pandemic, this year looked a little different for her.

“Ms. St Clair definitely did her job when it came to the technical stuff,” said Jarosz. “This year’s Zoom format is not what we are used to seeing.”

Another reason that this year looked different, though, was Norwin’s team itself. While the competition typically features juniors and seniors, Brady Johnson made an appearance as only a sophomore, and it was no mistake; Jarosz actually handpicked Johnson to compete.

“I was proud to be awarded such a prestigious honor as just a sophomore,” said Johnson. “My only concern was that I would not be able to provide enough to the team.”

While Johnson will have two more years to flaunt his impressive knowledge, this loss marks the end of the road for both Berger and Jarosz. Although it would have been nice to end with a victory, it’s just as gratifying to look back fondly on their illustrious careers.

“It was a little bit sad to end without a win, but I really feel that I was successful during my time in Quiz Bowl competitions. I feel that the team has a bright future,” said Jarosz. “Knowing that satisfies me.”