Elizabeth Long

Q: Why do you think you were chosen for your scholarship?
A: I think that I was chosen for this scholarship because of my unwavering dedication to my academic career and extracurricular activities. The entire time that I have been at Norwin High School I have done my very best to get involved with a multitude of clubs that meet my varying interests. Not only have I been apart of academic competition teams such as Science Olympiad and Envirothon, but I have also participated in clubs dedicated to bettering our community. As the treasurer of the student council, I have put countless hours into bettering the school’s environment and putting on events for the enjoyment of the entire community. In essence, over the years I have thoroughly proved that I am a well-rounded and persistent student inside and out of the classroom.
Q: What are your future plans?
A: My future plans are to attend Chatham University in the fall. There I hope to earn my bachelor’s degree in environmental science with a minor in botany.
Q: As a graduating senior, what is your advice to underclassmen?
A: My advice for underclassmen is to get involved! Not only does it boost your resume, but it also helps form lifelong memories. A lot of my most favorite times from high school were through the clubs, sports teams, and activities that I was involved in. I was able to make new friends and try new things that I wouldn’t have otherwise. It truly made my high school experience into what it was.
Q: Anything else you’d like to say about you/your scholarship…
A: I would like to say how honored I am to have been awarded this scholarship. To think that I stood out to the selection committee and entire school staff is such a huge recognition of the hard work and dedication I have put into my academics and life in general these past four years.

Maleah Phetsomphou

A: The John B. Rodgers Scholarship is based on this criteria: mortal integrity, intellectual ability, extracurricular activities, financial need, and personality- I fulfilled all of these. Early into my career at the high school, I knew that I wanted to establish good relationships with my teachers. They were willing to go above and beyond in assisting me with accomplishing anything. Hard work does not go unnoticed, and neither does kindness. I must admit, I did not know of the John B. Rodgers scholarship at the beginning of high school or that its recipient was determined by the high school staff; however, I definitely think acquainting myself with as many teachers as I possibly could contributed to my awarding of this scholarship.
Q: What are your future plans?
A: In the fall of 2023, I plan to study International Relations at Brigham Young University. In the winter of 2024, I will take a break from my undergraduate degree to serve an 18 month mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. After completing my Bachelor’s Degree, I will pursue a Master’s and work a diplomacy-related career. Hopefully, this will all come to fruition.
A: The only person who needs to believe in you is yourself. No matter how often people praise or criticize you, you are the only one who controls how you feel.
A: Earning this scholarship would not have been possible without my utilization of the positive people around me. Spending your free time(when you have it) with people who raise you up and support you yields so many blessings. In addition, don’t be scared to become acquainted with the teachers at the high school. They want to see you succeed, and hope to prepare you for the best future you could possibly have. I would also like to recognize the biggest figure in my life who blessed me with this scholarship, Heavenly Father. Through all of our ups and downs, He has a divine plan for each and every one of us. I would not be where I am today without Him, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost.

Knight Krier • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All Knight Krier Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *