A year later: what I’ve learned

Jordan Spagnolli, Club President - News Editor

On March 13, 2020 my life changed in a way I couldn’t imagine. The world was swept with fear from the Coronavirus. 

Now prior to that Friday shutdown in March 2020, there was talk within our classes about this virus and the concerns students had along with the possibility of the school shutting down.. Many students and teachers understood the necessity to close, but I was completely floored and unthrilled about the shutdown.Tech Week started on Saturday and nothing interferes with Tech Week. I am a theatre student and less than a week from that Friday our production of The Little Mermaid was going to open. We had spent months on that show, so the thought of all of that being taken from all of us when we were so close to the finish line was upsetting–but as you all know the school did close and extracurricular were over. It was hard to accept that our production was shut down and we would be out of school for 2weeks, and eventually for the rest of the year. 

I have to admit I was feeling a lot of pity for myself, but as time went by I started to see the bigger picture. 

Everything that was done, was done for a purpose. This virus was new, scary, and unpredictable. We didn’t know much about it but what I came to learn was because we knew so little, it was vital to do what we could to protect everyone. I eventually came to term with all the changes in my life and instead of letting it drag me down I decided to find the positives. I used quarantine as time to find the best version of myself. I decided to not let the scary things in this world define my happiness, and instead focusing on all the things that went wrong, I found the things that went right. 

With all that time on my hands I found productive ways to use it to my advantage, like working on my physical health, mental health, and spending more time connecting with my family, who I really didn’t see much because before quarantine I was always busy with something. Quarantine gave me time that I wasn’t used to having, and a year later I am the happiest I’ve ever been.   

A pivotal point right now is how my senior year is turning out. I could choose to look at it in a negative light and be sad over all the things I won’t get, but there is no good reason for that. Instead I choose to look at all the blessings in disguise, and that is my message to all of you. 

I know these times can be hard for many different reasons, but at the end of the day this is the hand we’re dealt, and what you choose to do with it is what will define you. Sure this year hasn’t been extraordinary, but you have the power to make it extraordinary. I encourage all of you to find one thing everyday that makes you happy, it could be simple or it could be something more than that, but there is always something in life that can make you smile. There will be times when you’re feeling down and that’s ok, it’s normal, but don’t let that sadness keep you down, find a way to build yourself back up. I challenge all of you to make your year extraordinary. If you would have asked me March 13, 2020 I would have told you that 2020 was going to be the worst year of my life, but today March 13, 2021 I would say 2020 has been the best year of my life.