Schneiderlochner wins John B. Rodgers Scholarship

Eva Schneiderlochner accepting the second largest scholarship from Norwin poses with Principal Dr. Choby.

Rochelle Lawrence, Writer

On Tuesday March 9, Principal Dr. Choby announced that the winner of the John B. Rodgers Scholarship: senior Eva Schneiderlochner. 

The John B. Rodgers Scholarship is a scholarship offered to seniors that is worth up to $20,000 to $40,000. Mr. Rodgers was a former teacher and successful business man from Irwin PA whose will, upon his passing, had established the scholarship. The scholarship was first awarded in 1970 and  since then, it has been awarded to a deserving senior annually. 

To be considered a suitable candidate for the scholarship, Schneiderlochner had to meet the criteria set by Mr. Rodgers. She had to display moral integrity, intellectual ability, extra curricular activities, financial need and show upstanding personality.    

Applications for the scholarship were due in early December of 2020. Schneiderlochner had to submit a resume, essay and some financial information to determine a need for the scholarship. The winner was chosen after select members of staff voted for a candidate based on how well they had met the criteria. 

“I have gone through high school being busy and not really expecting any rewards for my hard work,” said Eva. “I am grateful and thankful the staff voted for me.”

Schneiderlochner plans on attending the George Washington University in Washington D.C in the fall to pursue the combined Bachelor’s and Master’s program in Forensic Chemistry and also plans to  minor in Russian studies. 

Being awarded the scholarship will help her to achieve her educational goals.  “I am an independent person, so I am glad I have the money to get my own footing,” Schneiderlochner said. “The school is expensive, so any extra money I can get will help me focus on learning instead of the cost, or my parents having to worry.”

Schneiderlochner also had some final words for upcoming underclassmen who are interested in applying for the Rodgers scholarship in upcoming years.

“I think it is just important to keep tackling the challenges that come your way because eventually, it will pay off,”

— Eva Schneiderlochner

“I think it is just important to keep tackling the challenges that come your way because eventually, it will pay off,” Schneiderlochner said. “ Before you know it, you will be a senior, so it is important to try your hardest as early as possible. Become someone you will be proud of, and just go through your high school experience competing with yourself, not others.”