Perfect to a tee

Mackenzie Shrum, Writer

Abigail Knouse, a Norwin senior, is on the ball! Knouse has earned the Bob Ford Leadership Scholarship for her dedication to golf. The Bob Ford Leadership Scholarship is run through First Tee of Pittsburgh and has been in place since 2014. The award is given to students who exhibited leadership qualities on and off the course. Bob Ford, Oakmont Country Club, and First Tee of Pittsburgh organized this scholarship to provide money support to senior golfers who plan on attending college. The qualifications and requirements for this scholarship included being an active golfer and completing at least two seasons, and being a member of the First Tee for three years, writing two essays, and an interview with the committee. 

Coach Jeff Lebedda of the First Tee of Pittsburgh (left) and Abigail Knouse (right) pose for a picture with the award.

Abigail was nominated for this scholarship by her coach, “How did you get nominated by my golf coach on the first tee of Pittsburgh,” said Knouse. “I heard about it last year and I heard the last nominee, Jamie Rush’s speech.”

The Oakmont Country Club’s golf pro, Devin Gee (left) and Abigail Knouse (right) shake hands while holding the award.

Knouse has been playing golf for five years and still would’ve never anticipated her winning this scholarship.

“I was surprised and I cried. I waited a week and I did not expect it. There were four other girls and I didn’t think I would get it,” said Knouse.

Knouse said the process to apply was not hard but very extensive. She had to write two essays to respond to the questions, ‘How has the game of golf and The First Tee of Pittsburgh helped you develop leadership skills? Please provide examples’ and ‘Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?’ 

“It wasn’t hard. It was a long process but it was time consuming. I had to write two essays, 200-300 words,” said Knouse.

The Knouse family posing with their scholarship winning daughter

The scholarship is worth $5,000 and Abigail Knouse is planning on using her scholarship towards Indiana University of Pennsylvania and is looking to major in Early Childhood Education and Special Education.

“It taught me life lessons I can use on and off the course,” said Abigail Knouse.