Brotherhood key to Norwin football season

The 2021 Knights are working towards the playoffs, and every win is another step.

Mr. Vogel

Christian Beck stiff-arms his opponent.

Joe Fitzgerald, Writer

When people think of the top dogs for 6A Football in Western PA, some teams that might come to mind are North Allegheny or Pittsburgh Central Catholic. However, senior quarterback Luke Levendosky and the 2021 Norwin Football team are trying to add the Knights into the top contender discussion.
“I’d say the energy the team brings and the bond that we have makes the team click,” Levendovsky said.
The Knights this year pride themselves on their brotherhood. Teammates try to foster a close relationship through togetherness and a full team approach that all members matter.
The Knights started out the season with a tough loss to their crosstown rival Penn-Trafford 14-35. However, they bounced back in a thrilling win that involved a last second field goal against Latrobe winning 31-28. Continuing their hot streak, the Knights rolled past Connellsville in a blowout 37-0. After the first 2 games against several 5A rivals, on Friday Sept. 17, the Knights were thrown into the ring of fire and lost on the road to the defending 6A champion and state powerhouse Pittsburgh Central Catholic 50-0.
Friday Sept. 24th’s game vs Seneca Valley was cancelled due to COVID cases and quarantines on the team. The knights then went to Baldwin on October 1st to face the Fighting Highlanders which started to look promising in the first half but unfortunately Baldwin came back to beat the Knights 21-10. One week later on October 8th the Knights had a tough one vs the North Allegheny Tigers. The Knights kept it close all game but we’re faced with some adversity when there was a one hour lightning delay which took some momentum away. After the lightning delay things went downhill and Norwin, who looked to be in the game, lost 24-42.
The Knights have not won a playoff game since 2007, but the belief around the locker room is that this team can change that.
The Knights have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. The offensive line remained one of Norwin’s strong spots, despite the loss of former All-Conference guard Anthony Giasante. Led by senior center Jacob Young, the Knights’ offensive line has had some players step up, such as senior Ryan Mulroy, who switched to offensive guard from tight end just one week before the first scrimmage.
“I played line my 8th and 9th grade years so I already had a little experience with the position and when I switched to line so close to the season Coach Bowen and Jake Young really helped me,” Mulroy said.
Senior running back Dom Barca highlights the backfield, but has two other big contributors in junior Christian Beck and senior Nate Harris.
“I think it’s definitely a good thing to have 3 running backs that can play and excel at the varsity level,” Barca said.
Levendovsky’s first year as starting quarterback has been turning heads with his dual threat playing style, most notably against Latrobe where he led the Knights to victory when combining for 268 yards rushing and passing.
“Off-season workouts, lifting, my quarterback coach [assistant coach Sean Bowen] has done a great job,” Levendovsky said. “Every drill we do has a purpose in getting us ready for a game situation.”
A receiver who has been drawing serious attention is sophomore Jackson Pons, who already has a Division I offer to Gardner Webb University. Some big names on the defense include senior linebackers Josh Page, Aaron Schmook, and Nate Harris. All 3 have been tackling machines for the Knights. In the secondary, a newer name that’s been making plays is senior Noah Houser, who already has three interceptions this year.
The Knights overall this year have had some ups and downs so far, but that’s all part of the game. However, the Knights are still rolling with the same mindset that they can be the team that leads the Knights to the playoffs.
“I think this team is a lot closer than years past and we all have the same goal of changing the culture at Norwin to be a constant playoff contender,” senior running back Barca said.
It is getting down to the wire for the Knights with every game being a must Win if they want to make the playoffs and their next game is against the number one team in the state. However they have belief that this team can still be the one that changes the reputation of Norwin Football as a whole.