Norwin Homecoming Weekend

Seniors on the 2020 Homecoming Court pose for picture before the game. Votes are being tallied for 2021 Court already for Homecoming game on Friday October 15, 2021.

Nicole Tougher, Secretary/Social Media Coordinator

The leaves are falling and the air has turned cold. Friday night lights have taken over our schedules and the search for the perfect dress and perfect date is underway. This can only mean one thing: homecoming season has officially begun. 

Norwin High School Student Council, Junior Class Office, and advisers are all hard at planning this year’s Homecoming festivities. Over the course of Friday Oct. 15 and Saturday Oct. 16, a variety of events will take place throughout the school and community in celebration. 

FRIDAY

In School

During the week of Oct. 11-15, students are able to participate in spirit week! Each day will have a different theme students can dress as. As of right now, the themes have not been announced.

During class Friday morning, all students will travel to the stadium where a pep rally will take place! The event will celebrate Norwin pride and will have competitions and entertainment. A 2-hour early dismissal will also be happening on Friday as well as no school Monday for a teacher inservice day.

Carnival 

Norwin High School Junior Class Office will be holding the 7th annual Homecoming Carnival on Friday, Oct. 15. If the weather permits, the event will be held outside. If not, it will take place in the main gym where masks will be required as per the current mandate. 

Wristbands will be used as admission to the event. Wristbands will be $15 at the door and $12 when pre-ordered. All pre-orders must be returned to school by Oct. 8 and will be handed out at the event. Games include Candy Crush, skee ball, slingshot and more! A dunk tank will be set up outside the main gym for a chance to dunk Norwin faculty, administration, and students. Live entertainment will be performed and food trucks will be there as well.      

Game

The annual homecoming football game will be held Friday, Oct. 15 at the Norwin High School Stadium where the Knights will be playing the Mount Lebanon Blue Devils. The Castle Crew theme is whiteout and all students attending are encouraged to participate. The crowning of Homecoming King and Queen will take place during halftime. 

“I’m looking forward to seeing everyone at the game,” said senior player Ryan Hileman. “I’m excited to play with my brothers next to me and we’re going to give it all our best.”

SATURDAY

Parade

The festivities don’t end on Friday! Saturday morning at 10:30 the Homecoming Parade will begin in downtown Irwin. Many of Norwin’s sports teams and clubs will be participating in the parade with their own floats.  Many club and fall sports teams are a few of the many participants. 

“We’re very excited to participate this year,” said FCCLA President Ashley Cramer, 12. “Since there wasn’t a parade last year, we are especially looking forward to this year. I can’t wait to throw out candy to the kids!”

Dance

Norwin High School Student Council is currently planning the Homecoming Dance set for Saturday, Oct. 16. The dance will be held from 7-10 pm at the High School. 

As for who can attend the dance, nothing has changed. All Norwin students, either in person or online can attend and they can bring a Norwin graduate under the age of 21. No outside guests are permitted. 

For those hoping to be crowned Homecoming king or queen, voting begins the week of Sept. 27. Round 2  of the voting process will be held Oct. 1 with the court photo being taken on Oct. 4. Ticket sales will also begin around this time.  

Students will also be seeing a few changes this year compared to previous years. The dance will be held in the main gym instead of the auxiliary gym to allow for more room and ventilation. As per the current mandate, masks will be required in the building. Other open areas include the cafeteria as well as a tent set up outside by the athletic lot if the weather permits. 

Teacher and Student Council Adviser Mr. Patrick MacLaughlin and Principal Dr. Michael Choby are both working hard planning the homecoming dance and activities and both are hopeful the dance will happen. 

“I don’t want kids to miss anything. I think things like Homecoming make lasting memories,” said Choby. “I think if you surround yourself with good friends, you’ll have a good experience.”