Children’s Grief Awareness Week

FCCLA+members+Madison+Samber%2C+Maria+Janiga%2C+and+Kira+Walkosak+running+a+table+at+lunch+that+helps+kids+find+the+resources+as+well+as+signing+a+butterfly+to+show+their+support.+

FCCLA members Madison Samber, Maria Janiga, and Kira Walkosak running a table at lunch that helps kids find the resources as well as signing a butterfly to show their support.

Ashley Cramer, Vice President / Editor

One of Family Career Community Leaders of America’s annual events, Children’s Grief Awareness week, is back in full swing. 

The high school middle hallway decorated for Children’s Grief Awareness Week.

Children’s Grief Awareness week is an event that FCCLA does in connection with the Highmark Caring Place to bring awareness for children who are grieving and the resources that are out there for them.

“Children’s Grief Awareness week is centered around showing kids that they aren’t alone with going through grief,” said FCCLA Vice President Ashley Cumpston. “We are excited to be able to do all of our planned events for Children’s Grief Awareness week this year. Last year COVID kept us from doing the events we would normally do such as having a contest for the most blue home room as well as having people come up to our table at lunch and sign butterflies. This year we are excited to have all of our events back and to raise even more awareness about the resources out there.”

To garner student’s attention, FCCLA decorated the middle hallway at the high school and knight head with blue streamers and butterflies as well as decorating their bulletin board with the Highmark Caring Place’s resources. 

FCCLA’s bulletin board decorated for Children’s Grief Awareness.

“It feels good to be able to be a part of something that helps kids process their grief and grow from it,“ said FCCLA member Elizabeth Long. “I really hope that kids will take advantage of the resources that the Highmark Caring Place provides.”

Another promotion that FCCLA is doing to bring awareness to the resources available through the Highmark Caring Place is having a table at lunch where students can come up and sign a butterfly to show their support for students struggling with grief.

“We do this table every year to create direct contact with the students,” said FCCLA secretary Karina Rosario. “Students are able to come up and sign a butterfly and learn more about what resources there are and how they can support their friends who may be going through grief.”

FCCLA began doing Children’s Grief Awareness week when one of their members suggested it after using the resources to cope with a loss they had experienced.

“We have been doing this event for many years,” said FCCLA advisor Mrs. Greene. “Every year our members are excited to show their peers that there are resources outside of the school if they are struggling with grief. Our goal is to bring awareness to these resources and show students that they aren’t they aren’t alone in their struggles.”