Norwin students ‘Gogh’ to Pittsburgh to see the Immersive Van Gogh exhibit

P. Tokay

The Immersive Van Gogh exhibit at Lighthouse Art Space in Pittsburgh.

P. Tokay, Intro to Journalism Contributor

Audiences watch as Van Gogh sun rises and falls across the exhibit. Swirling colors burst across the room as the scenery ahead shifts from glorious, sunlit meadows to dark, starry nights. This artistic spectacle gives audiences a chance to see Vincent Van Gogh’s art in an entirely different way. The Immersive Van Gogh exhibit, open at the Lighthouse Art Space in Pittsburgh from Oct. 21 for six months, encourages onlookers to sit back and enjoy the show.

“Art is deeply important in education because it helps to foster creative problem-solving skills, boosts creative-thinking skills, and also helps people to connect to their own cultures as well as others, just to name a few!”

— Mrs. Cole, French Club adviser

On Monday, Dec. 20 the Norwin French Club will be taking a field trip to the exhibit to do just that. With Van Gogh’s various works animated and moving across the walls of the exhibit, students will watch his art come to life before their eyes. The exhibit features a soundtrack created by composer Luca Longobardi that weaves through the 30-minute animated display. With the field trip’s date swiftly approaching, excitement is running high for those making the trip to Pittsburgh.

“Art is not only important for historical purposes, letting us learn about our past through it, but it can also be used for mental health purposes as a way to cope and escape reality,” said French Club member Gabrielle Andrykovitch. “I have high expectations for the exhibit and I’ve heard really good things about it. I’m very excited to experience it.”

Audiences watch as Van Gogh sun rises and falls across the exhibit. (P. Tokay)

French Club members are not the only ones rushing to see this incredible exhibit. Students across Norwin are thrilled to have a space that gives them the chance to appreciate art. From freshmen to seniors, Norwin High School students are going in droves to the exhibit, ready to experience Van Gogh’s art from an exciting and new perspective. According to many of the students who went to the exhibit, it was a truly incredible time.

“When watching the exhibit it was almost considered a moment of transcendence,” said freshman, Schon, who went to the exhibit. “I was able to really see inside the mind of possibly the greatest artist in modern society. Even my mother talked about how it was an emotionally moving experience while we were watching it. The music paired with the animations almost tricked your brain, and that made you truly experience the exhibit.”

With reviews like that, it is no wonder that students and teachers alike are alight with excitement over the Immersive Van Gogh exhibit. Mrs. Cole, the teacher sponsoring the French Club’s trip, simply cannot wait to give French Club members the opportunity to appreciate the beauty and importance of art in an educational setting.

“[Art is deeply] important in education because it helps to foster creative problem-solving skills, boosts creative-thinking skills, and also helps people to connect to their own cultures as well as others, just to name a few!” said Cole. “I’ve already been to the exhibit, but I would tell others who have not yet gone to prepare themselves for a visual and auditory experience. The moving panoramas of Van Gogh’s works allow the viewer a unique perspective into Van Gogh’s masterpieces.”

Onlookers observe the pages of Van Gogh’s painting of a book flip in front of their eyes. (P. Tokay)

As the exhibit continues to welcome visitors for the next four months, Norwin students and staff members are delighted to have the opportunity to experience Van Gogh’s artistic works. Many hope that more admiration for the arts will be reached in light of this exhibit.

“Art is one of the most important things in my life personally,” said Schon. “Art and music are ways that you can express yourself and how you’re feeling in so many different ways. Art is one of the purest forms of expression. It’s easy to get lost in everyday experiences and after the exhibit I’m able to find the beauty in small, everyday things once again.”