JROTC Change of Command appoints new positions for next year

On March 3 the Norwin JROTC celebrated their Change of Command ceremony. The Change of Command is a ceremony that takes place in the United States Air Force and something that the Norwin JROTC members replicate every year. The senior (commanders) look at JROTC resumes and interview possible candidates to choose people to fill the places of the graduating members. 

It is a ceremony that is replicated from the ceremony done is the Air Force.  Accrding to the Luke Air Foce Base , the “typical Air Force change of command ceremonies include a presentation of the colors, remarks by each member of the official party, passing of the guidon, singing of the Air Force song, as well as a first and last salute from both the outgoing and incoming command.”  The Change of Command ceremony the JROTC partakes in is near the end of each school year. Change of Command ceremonies in the Air Force have been going on for a very long time. “‘The modern change of command ceremony comes to us from the Middle Ages,” according to Luke Air Force Base. “When leadership changed out, a change of command ceremony was held so that all of the men in the company would see the new commander and witness the change in authority. Over the years, things have been added to the typical Air Force changes of command I have seen. However, as similar as each change of command seems, each one is different.”’ This is a ceremony of tradition and letting the high school students take part in a similar ceremony will make them more prepared for the future. 

At Norwin the new cadets that are chosen to be put in leadership positions are chosen by the current senior officers. The new commanders are chosen through a process of presenting resumes to the seniors and then a process of being interviewed. 

“When our seniors are getting ready to graduate, they hand it off to a new group of commanders that will take over, usually a group of juniors,” said Colonel David Sandala.  

There is a lengthy process to apply to take over a leadership position. Students have to be well rounded and submit numerous papers to the seniors so they can choose from the candidates. 

“To apply I had to submit a 200 word essay about why I wanted the position, a cover letter and resume, cadet transcript, and junior year first term grades,” said junior Alessia Sandala. “The interview was stressful because I was interviewed by all of the former top leadership members and was asked questions about everything that I have done the past few years, core knowledge, goals, qualifications, and drill knowledge.”

After the new students are chosen to take over they assume the new responsibilities of the position they were chosen for. These jobs do entail a lot of responsibilities but these students work hard to earn these positions. 

“Being the Group Commander you oversee all the cadet operations,” said former group commander senior Jenna Beach. “From drill competitions, community service, visits to the elementary schools, and the ceremonies we have throughout the year. At the beginning of the year, they are responsible for setting goals and tracking them each semester. The most important component of being the group commander is how you lead others. Group commanders are intuitive; they have an ongoing process of self-discipline and perseverance and have the ability to sense what is happening in a social situation.”

It is an honor to be chosen for any possible leadership position. It is something most of the students in JROTC hope they will be able to accomplish by the time they graduate. Even though there are a lot of responsibilities that come with each job, cadets are overjoyed to take pin their role and do it to the best of their abilities.

“I was overjoyed when I was chosen to be the next group commander,” said Alessia Sandala. “This position was dimly goal since I first joined JROTC.”

It is an exciting time for the cadets and they all look forward to it. It is a tine to honor the students who are graduating and all of the time they dedicated to the program while also introducing the new cadets who will be taking over.

“An important part of the ceremony for me is honoring and celebrating the accomplishments of the outgoing top leadership for their dedication throughout the year,” said Beach. “For them to know their commitment did not go unnoticed. Outgoing top leadership overcame many obstacles that were thrown at us. A huge part of the ceremony for me was to use my speech as a way to motivate and inspire the incoming top leadership, and the younger cadets.”