Race for Grace returns

After a three year hiatus Race for Grace was back in full swing on Saturday April 9 at Norwin high school. Race for Grace was created in 2008 by Tamara and Brian Ekis after the death of their daughter due to a rare form of childhood brain cancer called Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma or otherwise known as DIPG.

“We have missed this event and everything that comes with it,” said Race Coordinator Ashley Metz Leax. “The smiles, the laughter, and the priceless memories being made. But we have gained an even greater appreciation for the fierce loyalty from our partners, sponsors, and donors who generously contribute and provide financial backing to ensure this fundraiser is a success.”

Since its establishment, Race for Grace has helped raise money to help out families with the costs associated with treatment as well as helping raise money for research. 

“This year we were able to raise about $151,500,” said Leax. “We were also fortunate enough to have 19 ponytails donated the day of the race.”

The three biggest events of the day were the 5K run and walk as well as the one mile walk. Over 2,000 people attended with over 1,500 of those people being signed up to run or walk.

Race for Grace RESULTS

“It felt good to be able to run for such a good cause,” said junior Oliver Hinson. “It was a tough course but knowing we were running for a cause made it easier to power through.”

There were over 300 volunteers that helped out with the race course, concessions, sign ins, auctions, and providing entertainment.

“This year was my first year volunteering,” said sophomore Maria Janiga. “It was so fun to be able to cheer on the runners and walkers once they got to their first mile.”

This year’s presenting sponsor was C Harper Auto Group as well as the area sponsors Kannan Yezovich Group at Hefren-Tillotson and Crumbl Cookies. 

“I was really thrilled to see such a good turn out this year after three years of being virtual,” said english teacher and runner Danae Brentzel-Martina. “I have been participating since the 4th annual race and it’s such a touching community event that I feel makes a huge different in not only our local community but around the world.” 

The community event has not only brought people from around the country together but has worked to change the lives of the people involved in many different ways.

“As a friend of the Ekis family for nearly 24 years now, the Race For Grace means much more than just an event that occurs one day out of the year,” said Leax. “My mother, sister, and I — along with my sister’s high school student leadership class at Woodland Hills, were the originators of the 1st Annual Race For Grace held on December 1, 2007. The Race For Grace is a grassroots movement, a labor of love, that has grown exponentially over the past 14 years. The spirit of Race For Grace is much more meaningful and far reaching than just another 5K run/walk.”

Race for Grace hasn’t only made a difference for those directly involved; it has also made a difference in those who participate by just running, walking, or volunteering.

Race for Grace has really made me realize how important it is that we find a cure as soon as possible. Seeing the passion and struggles of families who have experienced pain like this has really motivated me to continue to participate and fundraise to help find a cure

— senior Randi Booth

“I’ve ran in it and volunteered for the last couple of years,” said senior Randi Booth. “Race for Grace has really made me realize how important it is that we find a cure as soon as possible. Seeing the passion and struggles of families who have experienced pain like this has really motivated me to continue to participate and fundraise to help find a cure.”

Race for Grace has been a staple in the Norwin community for the past 14 years and has continued to mark a difference not only in this community but around the world.

“For the Norwin community and for communities all over the world — I hope the longstanding tradition of Race For Grace continues to offer inspiration and hope, kindness and comradery, a deep sense of purpose and passion to help others, and the feeling that collectively we are all part of something much bigger, much more profound than any single one of us alone,” said Leax. “Working diligently together, we are changing the outcome for children being diagnosed with DIPG and other types of brain tumors around the globe.”