Athletic Signing Day: Here’s to the next 4 years

Megan Barry, Sports Editor

LINK to ALL 25 Athletes who signed on National Letter of Intent Day (Nov. 11): https://norwinathletics.org/

Signing your name on a blank line is not a big deal to most people and it especially doesn’t mean much to high schoolers. But to 25 student athletes at Norwin High School, Nov. 11 was the most important day to sign their name. 

Nov. 11 was the day that those athletes who will soon become college athletes,  signed their National Letter of Intent. This day to high schoolers is known as signing day. 

(BOYS)

“This is something I have dreamed about since I was a kid,” said Jacob Bazala. “It was especially stress relieving because of the crazy recruiting this summer due to COVID-19. I am happy I was able to make my childhood dreams come true and sign to Mercyhurst.”

The biggest take away for most of the students who signed, was being happy that COVID-19 didn’t take the special day away from them. For spring sports and some winter sports as well, COVID-19 ruined the recruiting process for most athletes this year. Although being able to have a happy moment despite missing out on the season, was just what all these kids were hoping for. 

Jon Altieri

“I am extremely happy I was able to have signing day, because of the virus I thought that may have been taken from me like a lot of things I missed in the recruiting process,” said John Altieri, who signed with Clarion University.  “After my official signing, I knew it wasn’t going to be a weight on me anymore and that I finally found my future home. Go Eagles!” 

The overall sense of accomplishment and joy was all the student athletes were looking for during signing day. That is exactly what this day brought them.

Sal Cerilli

“I was grateful to be recruited to play golf at such a high level of competition,” said Sal Cerilli. “Pitt Johnstown has all of my needs for a college lifestyle! I am beyond thankful to finally commit and sign to the college of my dreams.”

For the 25 student athletes who signed their National Letter of Intent have officially been hit with a sense of relief and excitement for the future. Congratulations to those who signed and good luck at your college in the future! 

(GIRLS)

Aleksandra Brozeski

“It was awesome to finally find the college that I would be at for the next four years to start the next chapter of my life,” said Aleksandra Brozeski. “It definitely was a stress reliever and now I can focus on planning for the upcoming years of my college career.”

The biggest take away for most of the students who signed, was being happy that COVID-19 didn’t take the 

special day away from them. For spring sports and some winter sports as well, COVID-19 ruined the recruiting process for most athletes this year. Although being able to have a happy moment despite missing out on the season, was just what all these kids were hoping for.

Megan Barry

“Losing my recruiting season for track was a huge shot to the heart. I feared that I was not going to be able to complete my recruiting process,” said Megan Barry. “But signing gave me a sense of security, and overwhelmed me with happiness and it was just what I needed.”

Emily Nelson

“The emotions I felt on signing day were feelings that were hard to explain. I felt excited and thrilled to become a part of a program so special to me,” said Emily Nelson. “The endless support and love I get from my new team and wonderful coaches is an amazing feeling. I am ready for the challenge and I’m ready to be on the mat as a Baylor Bear!”