Victoria Hua wins Murdoch scholarship

Mackenzie Shrum, Writer

How does it feel to receive such a prestigious scholarship? 

It’s unbelievable. The feeling that your blood, sweat, and tears have finally paid off is something I’ve been chasing since my freshmen year. It’s like a large sigh of relief, but it’s really hard to process the reality of it because of how large of a scale the scholarship is on.

What kinds of clubs and activities do you participate in outside of the classroom?

Right now, I am president of both the band and science club and vice president of the progressive club and German Club. In terms of music, I have been principal chair for clarinet for wind ensemble since my sophmore year, played piano for about 9 years, and have made All State Band/Orchestra for the last three years. Besides those, I am also involved in the Quiz Bowl, Math League, and volunteer with both the high school and middle school band.

What are your plans after graduation and how has your award influenced this?      

I plan to attend the University of Virginia for my undergraduate studies with a major of biochemistry and minor of sociology. I will be pursing a pre-med track with the hopes of attending medical school and matching into residency as a pathologist. The scholarship will help greatly with the financial cost of my educational goals and have given me a sense of motivation to keep pushing to grow further from where I already am.                                                                          

What is the most important thing high school taught you?    

The biggest lesson I’ve learned is that everything will be ok. No matter how difficult things will become, you will always reach the end. There is fun in the chaos, and high school has taught me how to find enjoyment even if it seems like there isn’t any.  

What is your fondest memory of high school?            

In my last four years, I’ll never forget all the victories I’ve shared with the Norwin Band during our marching season competitions. I think the best moment was finding out we made history by winning our class at Grand nationals for the first time in 39 years and having the chance to close out all the amazing bands during finals with our own ‘victory’ performance.               

Who has been the most influential person in your academic life? Why?  

My mother is the biggest inspiration as to why I drive myself so far at school and anything else I do. I’ve lived a life watching her work almost all the time to support the two of us as an immigrant in the US. Her hardwork into making a life in a completely new country has been the foundation to my own devotion towards reaching for the top in all of my passions. I do everything for myself and her. 

What piece of advice would you like to give to upcoming seniors?

Trust the process and take small steps. It is so easy to be overwhelmed by classes, college applications, extracurriculars/sports, jobs, and anything else you might face, but you will get through it and it will work out. Taking care of yourself is the most important thing you can do and having the confidence you can surpass the obstacles in front of you is vital to closing your last chapter of high school.