Esports makes a comeback

Maria Janiga, Writer

The Esports club has officially made a comeback, but now with some changes. The club is now allowing all students to join, and the club has many games to play, such as Wii, Overwatch, Valorant, and much more.

The Esports Club is a new club where students are able to play competitively against other schools in both national and state-wide tournaments.

— Brandan Salany

What is the Esports Club, you may ask? Sponsored by Luke Cicconi and Brandan Salany, the club has over 10 games to offer for students in grades 9-12. Students are able to play these games remotely at their own home.

“The Esports Club is a new club where students are able to play competitively against other schools in both national and state-wide tournaments,” said adviser Mr. Brandan Salany. “Currently, we are using the Generation Esports platform so that students can compete remotely from home when it’s convenient for them. In the future, we hope to offer in-house competitions as well through a state-based organization called Pennsylvania Interscholastic Esports Association (PIEA).”

Over 120 students signed up for the club, and 90 of them showed interest in playing on a team. The first meeting took place on September 14th. At the first meeting, they discussed what the Esports club is and what teams the students wanted to play for. Each student was able to choose one team that they would hypothetically like to play for and learn to master.

I Am Your Target Demographic

“For the first meeting, we gave a general overview and allowed students to choose their preferred games and group themselves into teams within each game.” Salany said, “We plan to build rank-based teams in the future to be a bit more competitive.”

With the new club, students are now able to expand their video game skills into the new modern world of sports and technology.

Later in the season, the club hopes to plan some in-house competitions along with many remote competitions, mainly communicating through Google Classroom and Discord.