Norwin students give blood

Alaina+Fonzi+%2810%29+poses+for+a+selfie+while+getting+her+blood+drawn%2C+

Alaina Fonzi (10) poses for a selfie while getting her blood drawn,

Gabbi Ballas, Intro to Journalism Contributor

Norwin High school held their tri-annual blood drive for Vitalant, a nonprofit organization that collects blood from volunteer donors and provides blood, blood products and services across the United States.

The event was held in the school’s auxiliary gym on December 2. Multiple students participated in the drive, and students that participated received a $10 Amazon gift card for participating. Mrs. Lori Anselmino is in charge of organizing the blood drives at Norwin; she has been running the blood drive for the past 11 years. 

“Students get to help people in need of blood and blood products,” said science teacher, Mrs. Lori Anselmino. 

Now that I’ve donated blood, I feel happier with myself and what I’ve done for others.

— Blood drive contributor, Alaina Fonzi (10)

During this blood drive, an estimated 180 lives were saved. 

“I wanted to donate blood because I love helping people,” Alaina Fonzi (10) said. “Knowing that I could save three lives just from taking some fluid from my body was a game changer for me.” 

According to the Red Cross, an estimated 6.8 million people donate blood every year.

Fonzi, a first time blood donor, was eager to share her experience about the blood drive. She spoke very positively about it, and didn’t seem to have any issues with her experience.

“It’s important to donate blood because first of all, you’re helping other people in the world,” Fonzi said. “Second of all, you can figure out your blood type and that information could potentially help you in the future. Third of all, it makes you feel like you have a purpose.”

The school will hold one more blood drive this school year, and lots more for future years. The event collects blood to save hundreds of lives each drive. This blood will be used for serious injuries (such as in a car crash) surgeries, childbirth, anemia, blood disorders, cancer treatments, and many others. The Red Cross estimates that approximately 29,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day.