Irwin Light Up Night

Lauren Zona, Intro to Journalism Contributor

On one cold fall November night Norwin citizens gathered down the streets of Irwin to watch the annual light up night parade. Children and parents were gathered up and down the sidewalks anxiously waiting in their Christmas attire to celebrate Christmas on this Thursday night.

On November 17, 2022 clubs, athletics, companies, and hundreds of people walked in downtown Irwin to get people in the Christmas spirit!

“Light Up Night is such a wonderful evening in our community to help kick off the holiday season!” said Norwin High School head cheer coach Kaitlyn Fung. “While there are many festive lights, joyful families, and a variety of opportunities for entertainment, my favorite part is seeing the joy and excitement on all of the children’s faces as the cheerleaders, colorguard, and marching band spread holiday cheer.”

“Light Up Night is such a wonderful evening in our community to help kick off the holiday season!”

— Norwin High School Cheer Coach Kaitlyn Fung

The cheerleaders get excited to cheer for football, basketball, wrestling, and soccer. Also, the cheer girls get very excited when they get the opportunity to cheer for other things like getting to participate and cheer at light up night every year and put the little children in the Christmas spirit!

“I am very proud to be part of our Norwin Cheerleading organization as I coach our amazing young ladies,” said Fung.  “As an organization, the cheerleaders provide encouragement for a variety of teams throughout the district, and we strive to uplift and encourage all individuals we encounter whether we are cheering at a game or participating in an event within our community. Participating in this parade is much more than a chance to cheer as it is an opportunity to be part of our community and uplift the spirits of many, especially around the holiday season. Participating in this parade is one way we can interact with our community to provide a positive environment for all who attend.”

The children on light up night look forward to this annual event every year and get so excited to receive candy and some holiday cheer when everyone walks down the street.

While the festivities, decorations, and music all add an element of their own to our special Light Up Night parade in Irwin, my favorite part is seeing the joy and excitement on all of the children’s faces as the cheerleaders, colorguard, and marching band spread holiday cheer!” said Fung. “Many families anxiously await each group who has put all of their efforts into preparing to make this evening special. When I see the joy it brings my cheerleaders to brighten the holiday for others, as well as the excitement on each child’s face when they are enjoying each group in the parade, my heart is filled with joy.”

This year’s light up night was very successful and the kids looked upset when the parade ended, but they cannot wait until Irwin’s light up night happens again next year!