Students inducted into Norwin Chapter of National Honor Society

Nation+Honor+Society+officers+Abrielle+Brown+%2812%29%2C+Kailey+Resnik+%2811%29%2C+Olivia+Todaro+%2811%29%2C+Julianne+Kellar+%2811%29%2C+Abby+Campbell+%2812%29%2C+and+Hannah+Katona+%2812%29%2C+stand+onstage+in+front+of+the+candles+they+light+for+the+induction+ceremony.+

Nation Honor Society officers Abrielle Brown (12), Kailey Resnik (11), Olivia Todaro (11), Julianne Kellar (11), Abby Campbell (12), and Hannah Katona (12), stand onstage in front of the candles they light for the induction ceremony.

Delanna Colarusso, Intro to Journalism Contributor

Everyone is wearing the best outfit they have. The auditorium is filled with parents eager to see their child walk the stage. The candles are lit. The Norwin Chapter of the National Honor Society ceremony took place on Nov. 16, 2022 at Norwin High School auditorium at 6:00 pm.

Students have to be accepted into the Norwin Chapter of NHS. Students can be accepted in their sophomore, junior or senior year.  To be accepted, students must possess a average GPA above 90 percent.

They need to work hard academically, contribute to the community through volunteer work, become leaders in the school and community and hold themselves to high standards of character

— Mr. Amic

”They need to work hard academically, contribute to the community through volunteer work, become leaders in the school and community and hold themselves to high standards of character,” said NHS adviser English teacher, Mr. Paul Amic. 

Additionally, in order for students to graduate as National Honor Society members, they need to complete five service hours per semester or 30 total service hours before graduation. 

The ceremony begins with the NHS pledge for all the new inductees. Then the NHS officers make speeches about the 4 different pillars that you are supposed to represent and light those candles. This year the guest speaker was  Dr. Heather Newell, a 1988 Norwin graduate and is currently the Director of Curriculum and Assessment for the district. After the speech, the new students are inducted. Their names are called and they walk the stage and get a certificate.

“Well, the ceremony itself revolves around the 4 pillars of scholarship, leadership, service and character,” said Amic. “The white candle represents the organization and the continual quest for knowledge and growth. The blue candles represent the pillars.”