A Knight under the stars

Norwin celebrates Homecoming weekend Oct. 7-8, 2022-23.

Anthony Olshanski, Vice President Knight Krier

Members of the 2022-23 Homecoming Court: (front row) Katie Rabo, Adison Federovich, Natalee Bertani, Sydney Reiter, Avery Anzelone, Jocelyn Boyd, Savannah Schneck, Casey Rose Colcombe, Molly Geissler, Carsyn Stanley
(back row) Mario Breauchy, Trevor Neil, Andrew Brown, Arnav Bedekar, Andrew Gentile, Michael Mihalov, Toby Samek, David Shepherd, Joey Speranzo, Julian Elatrache (Paul McLaughlin, Captured Image Photo)

Every year the Norwin community comes together to celebrate Homecoming. From the bright lights at the game, to the dim lights at the dance, Homecoming Week is full of memories, new and old, and a fun time for all.

Norwin Video Club

Homecoming Week kicked off at Norwin on Monday Oct. 3 with Spirit Week, where Norwin students show their spirit by representing each day’s theme. The themes this year were the following: Superhero Monday; followed by Tie-dye Tuesday; Wednesdays we wear pink; Flannel Thursday; and the forever and always Friday, blue and gold day.

“I’m happy how it all came together,” said student council member Jack Cassely (11). “This has been months in the preparation. I really appreciate the student body for participating with this and helping us out.”

The Royal Reception was held on Wednesday Oct. 5 at Rodney’s. All members of the Homecoming Court and a parent attended the event at Rodney’s where the court ate with student council advisers and officers. Gathered in attendance were seniors boys Andrew Gentile, Toby Samek, Mike Mihalov, and the senior girl’s, Avery Anzelone, Jocelyn Boyd, Savannah Schneck.

“I was surprised when I was selected,” said Avery Anzelone, senior court member. “It’s an honor to be chosen by my peers. I’m looking forward to dressing up and being in the parade on Saturday.” Anzelone picked her silver and black dress out a week before the game.

Members of the 2022-23 Homecoming Court: (front row) Molly Geissler, Adison Federovich, Avery Anzelone, Jocelyn Boyd, Savannah Schneck, Casey Rose Colcombe, Sydney Reiter, Natalee Bertani, Katie Rabo, Carsyn Stanley
(back row) Mario Breauchy, Julian Elatrache, Toby Samek, Michael Mihalov, Andrew Gentile, Arnav Bedekar, David Shepherd, Andrew Brown (Sofia Garzon (yearbook editor)

Next, the annual Hall of Fame induction ceremony was held at Stratigos Banquet Centre. Congratulations to the Norwin Athletic Hall of Fame: Class of 2022: Bob Goltz – Class of 1970: Track & Field, Football and Basketball; Alayna Gribble – Class of 2016: Girls’ Basketball; Micayla Livingston – Class of 2016: Girls’ Soccer; John Onderisin – Class of 1965: Boys’ Basketball; Harvey Ruffin – Contributor: Norwin Athletic Department Employee; Jason Staso – Class of 1998: Golf, Wrestling, Baseball; Tyler Urban – Class of 2008: Football and Basketball; Alicia Nalevanko – Class of 1996: Girls’ Soccer; and the 2016 Girls WPIAL Championship Basketball Team; as well as the 2016 Baseball WPIAL Championship Team.

Norwin mascot Molly Campbell and the cheerleaders fire up the crowd at the stadium Friday morning for the pep rally. (Yearbook Staff)

The next event was the annual Pep Rally on Friday, Oct. 7. Norwin students assembled in the morning at the Norwin High School stadium.

To start off the event, the band performed “Upward Trajectory.” Additionally, the rally was filled with events such as the relay race and Show Choir’s dance performance. One of the more popular events was the Pie a Teacher in the Face fundraiser, where teacher Mr. Momeyer, band director Mr.Daniels, assistant principals Mr.Telli and Mr.McCabe, as well as principal Dr.Choby were pied in the face as the students celebrated. The principals and Mr. Momeyer, however, flipped the script and returned the favor of ‘pie-ing’ their own children after they were pied.

“Being able to pie him, it was like sweet revenge,” Assistant Principal Mr. McCabe remarked on being able to pie his son. “He’s very picky about his (Tim) hair so when I got to pie him, it made a dad feel good.”

Junior Student Council member David Shepherd poses with the amazing prizes kids could cash tickets in for at the end of the carnival. (Knight Krier staff)

After the 2-hour early dismissal Friday, students and community members participated in the Homecoming Carnival from 3:30-6:30pm. Norwin’s student class officers planned the event, and Mrs. Brentzel’s junior class officers led the setup of the carnival booths and attractions.

“The Homecoming Carnival is the one way as class officers that we can give back and outreach as a school to the community,” junior class president Andrew Brown said. “Set up for the carnival is exhausting but I would like to thank my fellow officers of all grades for enabling this event to happen.”

At 7:00 the Norwin Knights took on the Franklin Regional Panthers. The Knights fell 35-0 to the Panthers. At halftime of the game, last year’s king and queen Luke Levendosky and Maddie Butina returned to crown Mike Mihalov and Jocelyn Boyd as this year’s Homecoming royalty.

“I feel very happy,” said Homecoming King Mike Mihalov (12). “I’m glad that my peers put me in this position where I could represent them as king; it really makes me feel good about myself.”

2022-23 Homecoming Queen Jocelyn Boyd and King Michael Mihalov ride through Irwin for the parade.

On the morning of Saturday Oct.8, the Homecoming parade took place throughout downtown Irwin. Norwin’s own clubs such as Student Council, FBLA, FCCLA, and National Honors Society were showcased throughout the event.

That same night, Norwin hosted their annual homecoming dance in the auxiliary gym sponsored by student council. The homecoming dance returned to the auxiliary gym after last year’s dance was held in the main gym. The dance took place from 7-10pm.

All in all, Homecoming 2022-23, A Knight Under the Stars was a huge success due to the many clubs, organizations, administration, teachers and community that make Norwin ‘first class all the way’!

“Homecoming is such a great opportunity to build school spirit and bring the community together,” said Lindsey Halpern (12). “It brings everyone to the same place at the same time, and being around each other helps us to grow closer.”